Monday, June 24, 2013

Digital Footprint

As part of my IDLA professional development, I need to blog a post about my understanding of the digital footprint or image a person creates with their online activities.

Fortunately, I have tried to be careful with what I post, that is it always school appropriate, and presents a positive image.  I'm sure I have failed at this sometimes, but I try.  I have changed my Facebook account to be a "teacher" account, so that my students can use it to get in touch with me, and even access extra credit assignments.  I have also used a tumbler account (for two years) and this blog (as of the new school year 2013-2014) to post extra credit opportunities for students.

Pretty much every time I post, I have to ask myself this question, "Is this something it is okay for 'the world' to know?"  Recently, I have deleted some more personal posts and changed some of my personal information (birth date) from facebook and Google+ to cut down on the risk of identity theft.  I guess that worries me more than other people finding out about me.

I did do the Google search of myself to see what came up.  My name is pretty common, so there were so many Missi Bakers and Melissa Bakers that it would be hard to choose me if you didn't already know quite a lot about me.  I did find myself, however, and using the Pipl search engine, It connected me to two of my family members.  That was a little weird.

Anyway, I will continue to try to be vigilant and only post information that I don't mind other people knowing.  I'm not a privacy fanatic anyway, but I do believe it is important to be cautious and careful, and informed about the potential effect of my digital footprint.  It is important to pass this information on to students as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment