Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer Journal

I decided that I don't want summer to disappear without me knowing what I did.  So I am going to keep a little journal of what I do.  It's a sad then when you get ready to go back to teaching in the end of August without being able to say what happened all summer.

Of course, "the big trip" will be a highlight (Norway in July), but I want to enjoy every day, and remember every day.  Summer is too short to forget.

So, last day of school: Monday, June 10.  Last day of school.  That day I got off a little early, but I don't remember what else I did.  See?!?  Bummer.  Maybe I'll remember later.  Well, I looked at my photo folders, so it turns out Don and I went on a bike ride to Chuck Sough (Half way to Dover Bay) that evening.

Tuesday, June 11 - First day off school, with no responsibilities.  I know I went to the gym, and spent some time updating my Quicken, which I hadn't done since I did my taxes in April. I cleaned out the bird baths, and took pictures of the starlings having their communal bath.

Wednesday, June 12 - IDLA Summer Conference in Coeur d'Alene.  Went by Northland Nursery on my way home, talked to a lady who said I should just use stone around the new Autumn Blaze Clumps.  We also decided I will bring down some photos next time to get her advice with what to plant.

Thursday, June 13 - LPOSD Schoology training at the SHS Library.  Informative.  Learned a lot.  Will need a refresher course when I get back to school.\

Friday, June 14 - LPOSD Common Core Writing Strategies at Kootenai Elementary.  Some helpful information.  Mostly really boring.  Stopped by the nursery in Ponderay on my way home.  Nothing too interesting that wasn't too expensive.

Saturday, June 15 - Kootenai NWR with Don.  Got bit up by misquitos really bad.  Got a great picture of a Virginia Rail that Don called out with his Audubon App. Saw their babies, too (little black balls). Also saw baby coots (orange-red heads) and baby pied-billed grebes (really stripy), both really cute!  (Photos didn't some out so well on those, too far away and behind tall grasses).   Saw a mystery bird. Lots of kingbirds, yellow-headed blackbirds, great grey herons.

Sunday, June 16 - Went to Little Spokane River Natural Area for the first time. Identified one new species for us, Willow Flycatcher.  Lots of families on the trail and floating the river.  Great for families, not so great for birding, but fun new place.  Definitely someplace we want to come back to again.  Lots of yellow warblers.  Also saw a downy woodpecker feeding her babies in a hole in a tree!  That was cool.  We saw a northern flicker feeding babies last weekend.  Love that!

Monday, June 17 - Today!  So far, watered the lawn (trying to keep new grass for new lawn damp), called ladies to arrange rides to book club tonight,  uploaded a few folders with Picasa to Google+, uploaded the photos from yesterday onto my computer and looked at some.  It's 9:07 AM.  I've been up since 5:30AM with Don.  Played a few games of Scramble with Friends.  Now I need to change and go to the gym!  I'd like to do that every day this summer.  I've had that resolve many summers, and it usually dissolves in a week or so...  Maybe this summer will be different.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment