Monday, June 24, 2013

Lewiston Trip

Monday, 6/24/13

As far as doing this every day, that's not working out.  How about I just make sure I go back and review the days I miss?  So far today I played some games on my tablet and went to the gym.  My third load of laundry is in, and I watched the daddy flicker and the two juveniles snacking in the back yard for a few minutes.  It is so cool the juveniles are here.  I hope they stick around!  They don't seem to know how to get to the suet yet.

Thursday I played on my computer until noon, did some laundry, and I think that was about it.  I did not feel good about the use I made of that day.  It was raining all day.  I think I reviewed some photos from our California trip over Christmas break that I still haven't finished.  I do need to finish that!  One of my goals for the summer is to complete our first bird online scrapbook.  That will take a lot of time.  I need to finish this IDLA online professional development first, however.  I worked on that some on Thursday evening.

Friday I spent all day digging holes and planting shade plants in my gardens.  I was out there about 8 hours.  It made me realize exactly how out of shape I am.  That was the hardest physical work I've done in a long time.  Watched Lincoln that evening.

Saturday we went to the gym, and then decided to do an overnight birding trip.  We headed down to Coeur d'Alene, and then went east to the Chain Lakes/Lane Marsh area.  Here's a dark-eyed junco from our first stop.
Dark-eyed Junco
Western Tanager
And it seemed like everyone in the whole world had seen a western tanager besides us, so I was so thankful (and amazed!) when we finally saw our first western tanager down there at Killarney Lake.  True to form, after this first one, we saw two or three more on our trip. At the same spot we also got to see this spotted towhee.  We've seen them a few times, but this is the first one this year.
Spotted Towhee


We followed Highway 3 to Highway 6, stopping at several places, and ended up in Moscow for the evening.  Sunday we drove further south to Lewiston.  We went to the North Lewiston Sewerage Treatment Plant, and then headed out to Hell's Gate State Park.  We were disappointed with the park, although we saw a new species, Western Kingbird, and several other fun birds.

Hell's Gate Entrance
On the way home we drove a scenic loop over Skyline Drive in another state park which name I don't recall now.  It was pretty, but not so many birds.  Two turkeys and several Swainson's Thrush, and a few others.  I'm going to posts the lists on eBird, and then I'm going to try to link it here.

I talked to Don a little last night about how summer is actually hard for me, if I'm not working.  It's hard to adjust to a schedule, when there is no schedule, no accountability, no "job" to do (besides the cooking and laundry...)  It's crazy, because I should be the happiest I ever am when I'm on this extended break.  But mentally, I just have a hard time getting used to it.  I think I could spend all summer driving around and shopping for clothes or plants or food or whatever.  And I like traveling.  We have this big trip to Norway coming up with is awesome to look forward to.  Lots of planning there.  And I'd like to brush up on my Norwegian.  Anyway, maybe I'm stifled because I've got this class hanging over my head... so let's get it done!

Time to work on my IDLA professional development class.

Tuesday, 6/25.  Had a great working day yesterday.  Finished about half of the professional development class, and played around with some more photos.  Here are a few more birds from our trip.
Song Sparrow

California Quail














Osprey with young






Western Wood Pewee

No comments:

Post a Comment