Thursday, June 27, 2013

Grass has come in!

Thursday, 6/27/13

So, Wednesday I finished my IDLA Professional Development.  Woo-hoo! And now I'm free for the rest of the summer!  Tuesday and Wednesday I also finished putting the black fabric around the new trees in the front yard, and the cherry tree.  I thought I wouldn't be able to carry all the bags of "Mexican Pea Pebbles," but I was.  14 - 40 lb bags on Tuesday and 10 bags on Wednesday (I did not go to the gym those two days)!  So I'm going to take some pictures when the sun comes out and I'll post our improvements.  The grass is coming in pretty well now.
 I think as soon as it dries out Don's going to mow it for the first time.  It's been about a month since they planted it.  Don wants me to do the rocks around one more bush at the corner of the front yard.  I think I'll wait until it dries out a little more.  It's rained every day for about  week now, which has been awesome for the lawn!  It's supposed to get up into the high 90s by this weekend and early next week, so, I'm glad the grass has had a chance to get going before that hits!

Don and I have been watching Downton Abbey in the evenings, getting the DVDs from Netflix, and we've really been enjoying that show.  Yesterday I also took a nap for an hour and read my book, The Recessional, by James Michener, for about an hour. It is the book for our book club which meets the second Monday of each month.  So far I'm enjoying it.  It is about a retirement complex in Florida.  It makes we think about my mom and her retirement experience, and it makes me think about making plans for our own retirement (of which we have none at this point).  I have the bird photo book to work on, and a lot of photographs to edit and upload.  I'm sure that alone could keep me busy all summer!


This morning I was back at the gym.  The first goldfinch of the season showed up in our backyard also this morning.    And I saw our neighborhood merlin flying overhead with a captured bird in his claws!  Today, I thought I'd do some financial work, and other than that, I don't know.   This is the point when I think I should start to make lists for myself every day, so I don't end up sitting here doing nothing all day.

Well, I did sign up for another professional development that will be early in August.  I'll have to travel to southern Idaho for it, but I think that will be good.

Mom Eckhaus is going to come up Aug. 8 for a week, so that will be great company. Ok, outside again to take pictures of the yard and gardens!  So the real reason I need these pictures is because I have problems.  All the dirt areas are new.  I went to Northland Nursery to get advice, and we decided I better bring in pictures.  Most of the garden will be in shade, with some having about half sun (very front of the house).  I need help!  I am so NOT a gardner!

Here's the link to this photo album with our new improvements and the problem places I need help with (link doesn't show up until you hover over it):  Gardening Improvements and Problems

No comments:

Post a Comment